C is for cookie

MWF seeks a sweet companion for long winter evenings spent in front of the fireplace (OK, TV) with a cup of hot chocolate or tea. Willing to accept a crusty exterior if you're a marshmallow on the inside.


Chocolate Chip Cookies are a pretty standard baked good, but I (unfortunately) don't have a standard recipe for them. Everytime I get the hankering for chocolate chip cookies, I either go online or flip through my cookbooks and pull out a different recipe to try. Then, I promptly forget whether they were good or bad, and end up repeating the same process the next time around.

This time, I chose the recipe in Sugar, one of the cookbooks I recently received as a birthday gift. The secret ingredient is cornstarch, which apparently is supposed to keep them chewy on the inside. Seemed to work.

That's good enough for me.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces chocolate (I used about 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips; a mix of dark and milk)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease baking sheets.

Make sure your butter is softened before creaming together the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and blend.

Stir in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.

Stir in chocolate pieces or chips. (My dough ended up being quite stiff.)

Drop by tablespoonful (I used a scoop) onto prepared baking sheets. Because my batter was stiff, I flattened the balls slightly before baking. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden around the edges.

Yields 2 dozen cookies.

Labels: