Thyme for a potluck



Did I really just type that? Seriously?

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist such a great pun opportunity. (Although, let's face facts: not so sorry that I deleted it.)

A little pressed for time lately, as evidenced by my less frequent and shorter-than-usual posts, I needed something quick, easy and tasty to bring to D's birthday potluck dinner this past Monday evening. After nixing my first few ideas:

...homemade sweet potato chips with tzatziki (Am I really such a glutton for punishment?)

...that marzipan cake recipe I've been meaning to try (Duh, it's a birthday potluck; someone is already bringing a birthday cake)

...cornbread (I wouldn't want to take on I., the cornbread aficionado. At least not today.)

I settled on Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits. A classic Casual Baker standby often enjoyed in our house with soup or chili. They're best fresh from the oven, piping hot, with a little salted butter melted on top, but are entirely edible the next day as well.

Bisquick be gone; few things are quicker to bake from scratch than biscuits.

Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, cold
1/3-1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Cut the butter into cubes and, using a pastry blender or fork, mix the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Add buttermilk and blend with a fork, just until combined. I find that I usually use more than 1/3 cup of buttermilk, but less than 1/2 cup. It shouldn't be a struggle to incorporate all of the dry mixture; err on the side of too much buttermilk if anything. Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead lightly 2-3 times.

Using your hands, pat the dough into a square, about 1-inch thick. Cut into 4 squares and place on cookie sheet; alternatively, dip a glass in flour and cut dough into rounds using the glass.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden on the bottom.

Yields 4 little biscuits.

Notes: You can use virtually any herb, dried or fresh. When using fresh herbs, be sure to use approximately 3 times the amount to ensure a strong flavour. A personal favourite is fresh chives.

Source: Not a clue.

Labels: