Chocolate pudding for the haters



When I met R., 10 years ago, there were a number of foods that were staples in my diet but completely verboten in his. Tomatoes, yogurt and pudding are a few examples that immediately come to mind.

His dislike of tomatoes (one of my all-time favourite foods) was the hardest pill to swallow. Fortunately, by the end of year 1, his aversion to this delicious red fruit (commonly mistaken for a vegetable) was a distant memory.

Yogurt was a harder sell. (Is it just me, or does it seem like most men are born with a revulsion toward yogurt?) He took a lot longer to come around to the tangy dairy, eventually succumbing to it a year or two ago. I must say, though, his conversion seems to be more the result of perceived health benefits than a true love for the flavour. But it goes down just the same, so who am I to question motives?

Now we come to pudding. R.'s dislike of pudding is part of a much broader disdain for custard, which he affectionately refers to as sauce.

"I don't want that doughnut if it has sauce in it."
"The fruit part is good, but I'm not a big fan of the sauce part."
"Is crème brulée sauce in disguise?"

Of the 3 foods mentioned, I'm least devoted to pudding. I'd all but given up my dream of enjoying mid-afternoon spoonfuls of rich velvety chocolate together on our porch as dentured seniors. But pudding may be back on the table (quite literally) after Friday night.

I like to call this unctuous sauce Chocolate Pudding for the Haters.

Notes: Serve chilled alone or with seasonal fresh fruit and langues de chat, as suggested by Béa at La Tartine Gourmande.

Source: This recipe for Dark Chocolate Custard at La Tartine Gourmande.

Labels: