Introducing the boiled raisin cookie



Introductions have never been my forte but I wish they were. I consider my friend K’s mom to be an expert on the subject, having experienced her skills of introduction firsthand at K’s bridal shower several summers ago.

A good introduction:

This being my 100th post(!), I’ll be the first to admit that this introduction is long overdue. Boiled Raisin Cookie, it's my pleasure to introduce the Casual Baker readers. They're a down-to-earth bunch that will really appreciate your homey qualities. I think you'll get on fabulously.

Friends, meet my all-time favourite cookie. While she's not much to look at it in the photo above (she really shines in natural light), she's a spicy blend with a hearty mix of plump raisins, semisweet chocolate and toasted pecans. I used to think she deserved a snappier title, but now can't imagine her by any other name.

Now avoid the awkward silence and go bake up some company (or introduce me to your favourite cookie).

Boiled Raisin Cookies

2 cup raisins
1 cup water
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a small saucepan, simmer raisins and water for 3 minutes. Drain raisins, saving the liquid, and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Alternately add the reserved liquid and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing between each addition. Fold in the raisins, chocolate chips and nuts and stir just until evenly distributed.

Drop by teaspoonful onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Source: Mom's recipe file.

Labels: