All's well that ends with doughnuts

I'm pleased to report a happy ending in the hunt for our little silver Pentax Optio S5i.

Our camera returned home after an exciting cross-country journey from Oakville, Ontario to Vancouver, BC. Thanks to brother-in-law C. who thought to check the golf bag in the basement and, recognizing the urgency of the situation, made posting it a priority.

Although I promised a refreshing summer drink, the grey skies out the window this morning all but erase my memory of the sunshine and heat that came before. I'm in the mood for some comfort food, so doughnuts it is.

Aside from a previous Beaver Tails experiment in Paris, this was my first foray into the world of doughnuts. So I started simple, with a straightforward yeast dough posted over at Cook & Eat.

I skipped the holes and, in a twist on the suggested glaze, substituted maple syrup and a few drops of maple flavour for un vrai beignet canadien.

Casual Baker: When placing your cut doughnuts on a tray for the second rising, make sure to flour the surface evenly and well. I did a patchy job and paid the price when my perfectly puffed domes, refusing to let go of the towel, deflated on their way to the hot oil. It's as if they knew what was coming.

Source: Yeasty Doughnuts at Cook & Eat.

Labels: