Cinnamon raisin rice pudding



I am nothing, if not consistent. When I first revealed my hot oatmeal breakfast tendencies more than two years ago, the ritual was already firmly entrenched. It must be 4, maybe even 5(!) years now that I've been eating the same breakfast almost every day.

There were a few brief intervals when I temporarily abandoned hot oatmeal for more seasonally appropriate alternatives like granola or breakfast bars, but these are exceptions to the rule.

Now that fall has sort of arrived, I don't see much variation on the horizon beyond the occasional weekday bowl of Mini-Wheats or weekend stack of banana chocolate chip pancakes.

Or maybe this rice pudding, for those days when I blindly follow the recommended serving size on the rice package and end up with enough cooked rice to feed my entire condo building but don't want to risk social alienation with door-to-door rice distribution.

Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding
2 cups cooked white rice (I used jasmine)
4 cups milk (I used 1%)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook gently over low-medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens to your desired consistency. If necessary, reduce heat to prevent scorching. Note that the pudding thickens considerably as it cools.

Serve warm or cold, sprinkled with pecans and extra cinnamon, for breakfast or dessert.

Labels: ,