Banana pancakes (blueberries + hearts optional)



Some weekends, the universe conspires for there to be blueberry banana pancakes.

On Saturday, we woke up to a grey sky, the pitter patter of rain on the skylight, and the earnest meows of a hungry cat. Bleary-eyed, I shuffled to the laundry room and filled her dish with food. Standing at the kitchen sink with her water bowl, I noticed a lone black banana lying forlornly on the counter.

I'd say it was a light bulb moment, but I wasn't nearly awake enough for anything quite so dramatic. It was more of a candle moment, a flicker of an idea.

By this time I'd located my slippers but not my sweater, so I shuffled over to the fireplace next. Hearing the pop of the gas, the cat came running just in time to see the fake wood burst into flame.

Kind of like that idea in my head.



You hardly even notice
When I try to show you
This song is meant to keep ya
From doing what you're supposed to
Waking up too early
Maybe we can sleep
Make you banana pancakes
Pretend like it's the weekend now
We can pretend it all the time
Can't you see that it's just raining
Ain't no need to go outside...


-Jack Johnson



Peter Pancakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed

blueberries, fresh or frozen

Drizzle a bit of oil into a frying pan over low-medium heat.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, melted butter, honey, vanilla and buttermilk.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Those little lumps you see are A-OK. Good even.

In a small bowl mash the banana(s) with a fork. Measure out 1/2 cup and fold it into the batter. (If you add more banana, expect a denser pancake.)

Once you've poured the first round of pancakes into the frying pan, lightly press a few blueberries into each one. Cook the pancakes until golden, flipping once when bubbles begin to appear on the surface. I like to take my time cooking pancakes over a low-ish heat. That way, you're sure to have cooked centres.

Notes: Anyone who has spent any time with me knows that I am completely unwilling to sacrifice taste to save on fat or calories in food. Despite being from a low-fat cookbook, this recipe won't disappoint.

Source: Crazy Plates by Janet & Greta Podleski.

Labels: