Twitter made me do it



It started with a chips sale at Buy-Low. And when I say chips, I mean the chocolate and butterscotch variety, not their distant savoury relatives: ketchup and salt & vinegar. I resisted the urge and turned my cart instead towards the healthier store perimeter

Back at home, I happened upon a tweet from @jackhonky (of Eat the Love fame) about some questionable chips he had stumbled upon.



To which I responded:



and linked to the best proxy photo I could find online. It looked a bit like this, but even less appetizing:



Then @kickpleat (of Everybody Likes Sandwiches) piped up:



I can't think of a better way to describe butterscotch delight. It's so wrong, yet so very very right.

Before long, I was back at the Buy Low buying butterscotch chips and day-glo Jet Puffs. I considered substituting homemade marshmallows, but why pretend something's high-brow when it's clearly not.



Butterscotch Delight (or, as we call it, Marshamel)

1 bag butterscotch chips
1/3 cup salted butter (if you use unsalted, just add a pinch of salt)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup coconut
2/3 of a package of Jet Puff mini coloured marshmallows (go with your gut here)

Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.

Melt the butterscotch chips and butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter, vanilla and coconut. At this point, the mixture should be fairly liquid. Carefully stir in the mini marshmallows.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and chill in the fridge until set. Store in the fridge and eat as your tummy demands.

Source: An email from my Mom, although she credits the Unifarm cookbook.

Labels: