Nip and tuck



I generally like to come here with something new, but today I'm revisiting an idea that I first blogged about back in 2007. At that time, R. and I were living in Paris and I was baking with a toaster oven, appropriately romanticized by this francophile (well, by the French landlord too) as a four électrique. Oh, and I was having some flour trouble too.

I'm still pretty into the idea of chocolate and ginger, but wasn't sure how well my original recipe would work here in my Vancouver kitchen. And why court disaster in the kitchen when it arrives easily enough on its own? So I gave my chocolate chunk gingerbread cookie formula a facelift, North American-style.

If the before and after is any indication, it a was a worthwhile procedure.

Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Cookies, Redux

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a cookie sheet with parchment.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and two sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses, and beat until smooth.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, cornstarch and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed, then medium speed, until incorporated. The dough will be fairly stiff at this point. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Use your hands to form small balls, about the size of an unshelled walnut (8-12 per cookie sheet).

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies are just barely golden around the edges. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.

Notes + sources: Alright, so it was more than a little nip and tuck. More like reconstructive surgery. I started more or less from scratch, using the spice ratios from the Chocolate Chip Ginger-Molasses Cookies over at Orangette and drawing on my go-to Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (from Anna Olson's Sugar cookbook) for the cornstarch trick.

Labels: